Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Favorite books of 2016.

Posted by: Janni Nell
Rather than looking back at the events of 2016, I thought it would be more fun to look at books. I read close to a hundred this year. Some were published in 2016, others a while ago. Here are some of my favorites. 

In the fantasy genre, the Blackthorn and Grim series by Juliet Marillier is awesome. Book 2, Tower of Thorns, was a big, beautiful fairy tale. Even better than book 1! I love first person point of view, and these books have multiple first person so I'm a happy camper. The characters of Blackthorn and Grim have such different voices, you always know exactly which of them is telling the tale. I'm so looking forward to reading book 3, Den of Wolves, which is currently on my e-reader. Right now I'm just enjoying the anticipation of reading it.

I just loved Tara Brown’s post-apocalyptic Born Trilogy. Breathtaking action and the best kickass heroine since Katniss. 

The Empress of Rome series by Kate Quinn has been around for a while, but I only started reading it this year. Mistress of Rome (the first book in the series) is a huge, gorgeous historical featuring a hot gladiator, a female slave, a crazy emperor and a host of Romans behaving badly—and nobody does bad behavior better than the Ancient Romans. I had a ball reading this and absolutely loved the romantic element.

I'm loving the Capt Lacey regency mysteries by Ashley Gardner. Capt Lacey is a lovely character--a man who is flawed yet fabulous, and awesome at solving mysteries. But he's not the only reason to enjoy this series. I have to confess, I have a soft spot for James Dennis. I know I shouldn't because he's a bad, bad boy, but there it is. This year I read book 11, The Alexandria Affair. I'm eagerly looking forward to book 12 in 2017.

So what books did you enjoy reading in 2016?

****

Janni Nell writes the Bolde & Baulsey paranormal mystery series. Book 1 Dead Monk Walking available now.

Amazon
Kobo
iBooks
Google Play


Book 2, Dead Lady Vanishing, coming Feb 2017. 


2 comments:

  1. How cool! I just discovered the Blackthorn & Grim novels this year, too.

    Another series I discovered and glommed this year was Laura Resnick's Esther Diamond urban fantasy series. A struggling actress, a hot cop and some light-hearted fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read some of Laura Resnick's books but not that series. Sounds like fun! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...