Saturday, July 16, 2016

The power of pets

Posted by: Angela Campbell
Is it just me, or has 2016 been a sucky year?

World events have been disheartening, and the political unrest in America has certainly simmered to a boiling point in recent months. It seems everywhere you look, there's bad news. Of course, a lot of that's to blame on the media, but it's easy to get down in the down dumps these days.

All I can say is thank God for books, movies, and pets! I'm all about escapism right now because, of course, I'm also facing some challenges personally, so I'd probably lose my mind if I didn't have an outlet to escape. For many of us writers, that's why we dabble in fiction. It allows us to channel our worries, fears, and emotions into something productive. When we're not writing, our go-to escape is reading books written by others, or movies or TV.

I also have to throw pets in there, because I don't know what I'd do without my furbaby. I got my cat close to 11 years ago from the animal shelter, and I would have lots more if I didn't live with and help take care of my father, who has too many health problems to bring another cat or dog into our household. Also, my dad proclaims to anyone and everyone he doesn't like my cat – Dusti is her name. I know, so original. Shut up. My nephew named her — but it's not uncommon for me to come home and find my cat curled up in my dad's lap, both of them napping. And he insists I don't feed the poor thing enough, so he feeds her when I'm not looking, which is why she loves him more than me and is so overweight she always looks pregnant. But anyway.

I've found one way to battle the 2016 blues is to start and end each day by watching a positive and fun video featuring cats, dogs, rabbits, horses, whatever non-human animal I can find. I'm partial to cats, but I love dogs, too, and pretty much anything in fur or feathers. And sometimes I find a video about an animal that reminds me that all humanity is not lost in man, too. It's amazing how much my attitude has improved in recent days since I started doing this.

Since I think the whole world could use a hug right now, I thought I'd share some of my favorite videos – the ones that have made me smile and feel good about life, even if for only the four or five minutes after I watch them.

And if you love pets and books as much as I do, check out my book series!

Hannah Dawson has a big problem: she’s just become the unexpected owner of a snarky cat, a loveable but not-so-bright dog… and their $10 million fortune!
Which would be awesome if it hadn’t made her the target of every wacko in the metro Atlanta area. Now Hannah and her famous pets need protecting. And there’s only one man who can help them… 
Enter Zachary Collins: ex-TV star of ‘The Psychic Detective’ and street-wise private investigator – all 6 foot blue-eyed gorgeousness!

Only Zach’s got secrets of his own… not least that he finds Hannah, his client, irresistibly hot. The more time he spends keeping her out of harm’s way, the more he’s tempted to give in to the attraction and break all his own rules.

Angela Campbell is the author of the psychic detectives series from Harper Impulse. Learn more about her and her books at www.AngelaCampbellOnline.com.

1 comment:

  1. Yes this year sucks, though hopefully I'll change my mind about that when the new Grandspawn arrives. And OMG, are you right about pets! Without my dogs , I'd be all the way crazy and not just mostly there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...