Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Magic of Conspiring

Posted by: Steve Vera
So I'm in a restaurant, talking shop with one of my closest friends and we're going over a synopsis I'd just gotten back from the editor. "Revise and re-submit" is what it came down to. They loved the synop, loved the third chapter (I'd submitted the first three) but wanted some work done on the first two chapters before they committed. That was fine with me, that was exactly how it went down for my first trilogy. At least they were interested.

As I'm talking to my buddy, he says out of nowhere, "Too bad you can't blend the two worlds you know the most about, the restaurant business (it's in my DNA) and the realm of fantasy." Also in my DNA.

The thought honestly had never crossed my mind. In fact, I didn't even have the slightest clue of what a book like that would look like but before I know it, we're hammering out a story over a couple of Yuenglings. Two hours later we had outlined a KICKASS story concept. It was almost too good to be true. In fact, we were both so excited about it, when we got back to his apartment in Tribeca, we just kept going, each idea more exciting than the last.

Here's the thing though, I was supposed to be writing about the other one! It wasn't as if I didn't love the other concept, that one was kick-ass too and both my agent and editor dug it. Still...this new idea, this new concept, I felt as if we'd just about created a new genre! What was I to do?

After a twenty-four hour pause (it's amazing at how things look differently in the morning minus the Yuenglings) I made my decision.

I was going all in. With the new concept. Not only did it look just as awesome as it had the previous night, it looked even better. And after all, it wasn't as if the original project was going anywhere. Both my agent and editor told me to take my time so...I would. :) In fact, I submitted the new synopsis to my agent just the other day; this whole blog post will be news to her--doh!

At the end of the day, all I could think about was how utterly effortless the process had been with this idea and how working with the right partner changes everything. I can honestly say I wouldn't have come up with the idea had not been for my buddy. Excited doesn't even begin to cover it.

And that, folks, is the magic of conspiring. It's out there. Lurking. And when you find it, pounce on it! Who knows, it could lead to a bestseller. :) I'll let you know how it goes.

Steve out.






Afflicted with wanderlust as a teenager, Steve has lived in eight states, served briefly in the U.S. Air Force as a Pararescue Trainee, and has a profound aversion to mint chocolate ice cream. He currently lives in Sunnyside, Queens.
Conspiring.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...