Sunday, May 3, 2015

Books Aren’t Really Like Children

Posted by: Nicole Luiken


Ever heard that comparison that an author’s books are like their children? It’s true to some extent, but unlike my real children, I don’t love all my books equally. (Well, come on. I only have three kids; I’ve written 30+ books.)  Some books are special and have a bigger place in my heart.
Books that I love are more likely to be published simply because if I don’t love the story at least a little then I won’t put in the time and requisite drafts to make them saleable. Of my thirteen published novels, about half of them are special to me.
My YA fantasy novel Through Fire & Sea is one of those books.
I love my two main characters, Leah and Holly, who are otherselves (mirror twins) of each other, similar and yet very different girls. I love the setting of Fire World with its Volcano Lords, mirror magic, dragons and fire wasps. I love the heroes: cursed Gideon and complicated loner/siren Ryan. I love the action scenes when Holly almost drowns in the ocean and Leah flies around on dragonback. I love the dual romances (especially the diving board scene), and the Epic Evil of the sorceress Qeturah and her desire to shatter the Mirror Worlds. Love, love, love it.
Through Fire & Sea releases Tuesday, May 5th. I can’t wait to share this story with readers and hope that you will love it, too.
Oh, and I also LOVE the cover. What do you think?



Mirror mirror, hear my call...
In the Fire world, seventeen-year-old Leah is the illegitimate daughter of one of the realm's most powerful lords, able to communicate with the tempestuous volcano gods that either bless a civilization or destroy it. But then Leah discovers she's a Caller, gifted with the unique-and dangerous-ability to "call" her Otherselves in mirror worlds. And her father will do anything to use her powers for his own purposes.

In the Water world, Holly nearly drowns when she sees Leah, a mirror image of herself. She's rescued by a boy from school with a secret he'd die to protect. Little do they know, his Otherself is the son of a powerful volcano god at war in the Fire world...and he's about to fall.

As Leah and Holly's lives intersect, the Fire and Water worlds descend into darkness. The only way to protect the mirror worlds is to break every rule they've ever known. If they don't, the evil seeping through the mirrors will destroy everything-and everyone-they love...

1 comment:

  1. Ooh. Sounds fascinating! And, yes, the cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...