Wednesday, March 4, 2015

My Feels Are Broken

Posted by: R.L. Naquin
This week marks the release of the last book in my Monster Haven series. Book six, Phoenix in My Fortune dropped on Monday, and I’ve had mixed feelings about the whole thing. I may, in fact, be losing my mind.

Let’s take a look at the emotional roller coaster, shall we?

Oh. My. God. What if they don’t like it? What if I totally botched the ending after working so hard for five previous books to make a cohesive story arc? 

Dude. I totally did it! Self five! I wrote an entire six-book series in four years. I rock so hard! 

Holy crap. That’s the last of my contracted work with Carina Press. I’m on my own. I don’t have a safety net. I have to do All the Things myself, now. 


Did you see the reviews? They love it! People are sending me messages to tell me they stayed up all night reading and couldn’t put it down! 

It’s all over. I miss Maurice so much. I’ll never be able to write another cast of characters so lovable. I am a total poser, and my initial success is a fluke. I can’t repeat it. I suck. 

Ha! I’m hilarious! Wait till they read this new book I’m working on. They’re going to love it, because I’m a freakin’ genius! 

Building a new world is haaaaard. I’m gonna go make some popcorn and watch a Gilmore Girls marathon. 


I am so utterly humbled by all the positive feedback and the genuine love coming from so many people over this book—and the whole series. 

In a few months, I’ll be on a panel at a convention where George R.R. Martin will be a guest. I wonder if he’s excited at the chance to meet me? 

What if starting my own imprint and going indie was a mistake? What if I fail? What if Carina forgets me while I fly solo for a few books? What if nobody ever reads another thing I write?

I am utterly exhausted by this week. And it’s only Wednesday. But you know what? Give me a week to recover and I’ll be fine.

I’ve got so many more stories I want to tell you. Thanks for sticking with me while I act like a psycho.

Rachel writes stories that drop average people into magical situations filled with heart and quirky humor.

She believes in pixie dust, the power of love, good cheese, lucky socks and putting things off until the last minute. Her home is Disneyland, despite her current location in Kansas. Rachel has one husband, two grown kids and a crazy-catlady starter kit.



Sign up for her newsletter for news, extras, and exclusive stuff: Newsletter
Hang out with her here: Website Blog Facebook Twitter
Buy her books here:  Amazon B&N Carina Press

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on releasing the last book. Wow, an entire series in four years! I bow to you, ma'am. Also, it's a fantastic series. I'm behind, because I was waiting on the audiobooks to catch up with me, but I think I will have to resort to reading the paperbacks when they release. Congrats on that, too. Long live Maurice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing a series! So great to hear readers are loving your last book. That must feel good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kelly. It does feel great--and it's a huge relief. Congratulations on the release of your first in a new series!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...