Saturday, September 20, 2014

200 Books

Posted by: Nicole Luiken

This year I set myself a goal of reading 200 books. I wasn’t sure I’d make it because I also have a lot of writing goals this year (four books under contract). Instead I reached the goal this week. Since it’s only September, I suspect I will easily surpass my previous record of 230 books. In short, I seem to be reading more than ever.

Also, more than ever, I am reading SF/fantasy books. Eighty percent of the books I’ve read this year fall into this category. They range from YA, to paranormal romance, to military SF, to epic fantasy, and urban fantasy. 

(What about the remaining 41 non-SF/F books? Mostly historical romances, plus a select few romantic suspense authors I’m loyal to, and some humourous YA books I’m rereading to my son.) 

Authors I discovered this year and promptly glommed onto all their books: Simone St. James, Mark Lawrence, Leigh Evans.

For fun, here’s a list of the 5 star SF/Fantasy books I’ve read this year (excluding, for legal reasons, books I read for the Sunburst Award):

The Winter Long, by Seanan McGuire (Toby Daye, book 8)
Heaven’s Queen and Honor’s Knight, both by Rachel Bach (Paradox, books 2&3)
Blood Sworn, by Steve Vera (Last of the Shardyn, book 3)
Shield of Winter, by Nalini Singh (Psy-Changeling, book 13)
Magic Breaks, by Ilona Andrews (Kate Daniels, book 7)
Alien Taste, by Wen Spencer (Ukiah Oregon, book 1)
The King, by J.R. Ward (Black Dagger Brotherhood, book 12)
Sixth Grave on the Edge, by Darynda Jones (Charley Davidson, book 6)
Silence for the Dead, by Simone St. James
Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson (Stormlight Archive, book 2)
Skin Game, by Jim Butcher (Dresden Files, book 15)
The Problem with Promises, by Leigh Evans (Mystwalker, book 3)
Night Broken, by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson, book 8)
Written in Red, by Anne Bishop (The Others, book 1)
The Trap, by Andrew Fukuda (The Hunt, book 3)
Steelheart, by Brandon Sanderson (Reckoners, book 1)
Fury of the Demon, by Diana Rowland (Kara Gillian, book 6)

Do you keep track of your reading on Goodreads or elsewhere? (I used to use a spreadsheet.) What new authors  have you discovered this year?

1 comment:

  1. We like a lot of the same books:) I haven't read Simone St. James but Silence for the Dead sounds amazing. I need that one for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...