Thursday, June 12, 2014

Let’s get ‘Spooked’

Posted by: Angela Campbell
Being a bit of a geek myself, I’m a huge fan of the Youtube network and website Geek & Sundry. There are a goldmine of awesome shows on Geek & Sundry in case you aren’t aware, but today I thought I’d talk about the new show, “Spooked,” which is described as “a paranormal comedy featuring the world's cheapest ghost hunters.”

First, I write about ghosts and hauntings and a team of private detectives dealing with dastardly things, so that logline got my interest.

Second, five team members. Hello. Scooby shout out, anyone? And I am the biggest Scooby fan around. (Okay, maybe I’m reading what I want to into that one, but still).

Third, the trailer that was released before the first episode hinted at a mixture of my kind of humor with just enough spookiness to keep my attention.

The first two episodes have now been released — each episode is available on Geek & Sundry and Hulu Plus on Wednesdays, FYI — so what do I think?

To be honest, I was a little disappointed in the first episode. Then again, I think my expectations were skyscrapers' high, so with that said, I did enjoy the show enough to keep watching. The first episode definitely showed potential, and I laughed out loud once, which is always a good sign.

I’m glad I kept with it! The second episode was leaps better than the first, and I’m already growing attached to the “team,” especially Elliot, who always says the wrong thing and has no clue he’s saying the wrong thing. “I’ve got a shovel with your name on it.” I still snicker over that one. He’s kind of hilarious. And Morgan, a Wiccan spiritualist, is proving to be a fun, well-developed heroine for the genre. The second episode, which released yesterday, made me chuckle more than once with its nonstop references to geek culture, and who wouldn’t love a show that starts with a guy yelling at the sky (and possible aliens) to give back his faithful dog “Elllllvis!”

Bottom line: “Spooked” gets two thumbs up from me. I can’t wait for the next episode.
**
Angela Campbell is the author of the psychic detectives series. Learn more about her books at www.angelacampbellonline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...