Sunday, January 12, 2014

Inspiration in all its forms

Posted by: Kathleen Collins
So one of the questions I get asked a lot is where my ideas come from. People tend to get annoyed when I say everywhere so lets see if I can be a bit more specific.

1.  Music -- This is a big one for me. I listen to music all the time in a multitude of genres. Each of my books/series has its own playlist. I get ideas all the time from songs. I was listening to music and doing edits on another project when a Daughtry song inspired the whole Realm Walker series. Doing edits for book one, I was listening to my playlist and two songs played back to back and the entirety of book three popped into my head.

2. Movies/TV -- Sometimes it's character inspiration. Or some snippet while spark something else in my brain. I've gotten no less than five ideas for completely different stories from Doctor Who.

3. Pinterest -- This is another big one for me. I've got boards for characters, general writing ideas, a board for Realm Walker and am making boards for projects that I'm currently working on. You can check out all my boards here

4. Other Writers -- A really good book always inspires me, no matter what genre its in. For example, I don't write historicals, but Tessa Dare is one of my favorite authors. I read one of her books whenever I need some inspiration for character interaction. I love the emotion she puts into her relationships. But it doesn't have to be a book, sometimes just talking to another author or a group of them can inspire and motivate me.

There are so many others I could list, but those are my big ones. So what about you? Where do you pull your inspiration from?

Kathleen Collins writes urban fantasy for Carina Press. Realm Walker, book one of the Realm Walker series is available now. Book two, Death's Daughter, releases March 31, 2014. You can find her at her website on facebook or occasionally on twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...