Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Brinner

Posted by: CobraMisfit

I love brinner.

Seriously, whoever invented serving breakfast for dinner deserves to be knighted. Any time I eat at a place that offers breakfast all day, I’m choosing the breakfast menu.

Steak? Nope.

Waffles? Game on.

Same goes for a good series. Not that I’m opposed to reading single titles, mind you. I’ve enjoyed plenty of amazing one-of-one books, but given the option between those or an enthralling series, I’m all over the latter like hotcakes at dinnertime.

Part of that is because I love watching characters grow. Few things compare to finishing the first book and knowing that Books 2 through 65 are just waiting to be cracked open. It’s a journey where you get a deeper appreciation for not only the characters, but also the world that they’re living in. It’s certainly one of the many reasons why I’m so drawn to Fantasy and Sci-Fi.

The danger, at least for me, is that I never want a series to end. Much like brinner, I want to just keep filling myself with all the syrupy goodness of the story arcs until I explode. That said, when a series ends well, it’s one of the most satisfying feelings on the planet. Having ridden the roller coaster with the characters, experiencing all the ups and downs along with them, you get the happy (or at least fitting) ending you hoped for. And you walk away knowing that if you’re ever hungry for that kind of meal again, it’s waiting for you. 24/7. All you have to do is open up Book 1 and dig in.



And now I want pancakes.


-Josh

2 comments:

  1. They should be knighted with a bacon sword!

    I think the best part about series - other than getting to gobble up delicious writing and characters - is how surprising they can be. I adore all books, but the potential to run the gamut, from adventure to emotion, is huge in a series.

    And now I want a bacon sword.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you - I love the breakfast menu best! any time of the day works for me. Nalini Singh's series are always on MY menu LOL, as far as books.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...