Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Meet the Here Be Magic Authors - Kaily Hart RISE OF HOPE

Posted by: Veronica Scott

Continuing our periodic feature of interviews with the Here Be Magic authors, today we have Kaily Hart, whose first Carina Press book RISE OF HOPE will be released on August 27th!

Here's a brief blurb about the book:
A secret ancient race of humans with fantastical abilities, the Vadïm are on the brink of extinction. Many of their women are imprisoned by an organization known as The Assembly, their history all but lost...

Devon Monroe has been a prisoner her entire life. She's determined to make sense of the strange markings on her body, to learn why no one may touch her, to find where she belongs. That means escaping into the unknown, where she has no choice but to trust her self-appointed protector.

Soldier-for-hire Seth Eastman has a job to do: deliver Devon to safety. When Seth discovers the markings on Devon's body, he's stunned at what they mean. And at how she awakens his long-suppressed needs. As they struggle to escape detection and search for the truth of the Vadïm, can he ever hope to claim her for his own?

On with the interview!
Tell us a little about yourself:
Gosh, I hate writing this part, which is why mine’s in 3rd person ;).

Kaily Hart, a seemingly straight-laced mother of four, left corporate America and a high-powered, lucrative career to be a stay at home mom. Right… That lasted about four weeks, during which time she realized she had a deeply repressed dream—to write. And (gasp) romance at that! Who knew? By day, Kaily plays conservative wife and soccer mom, but at night crafts hot and steamy tales of romance and love with gorgeous heroes who wouldn’t dream of leaving the toilet set up. Ever. She’s smart and sassy, at least in her own mind, and is creating as many happy ever afters as she can, one hot story at a time. Kaily never would have thought she’d be doing this, but now that she is? Well, you couldn’t pay her enough to do anything else.

What prompted you to start writing?
Boredom? Desperation? I’d given up work to spend more time with my kids. I had a very high-powered job which required long hours and travel. I had these ‘romantic’ notions of taking classes in crafts, getting fit, becoming more involved at my kid’s schools. Um. Yeah. I’m not built for that. I need to be working I found. I’d always loved to read, loved romance and I thought “perhaps I can write one?” And so I did J.

What’s your writing process? Where do you write?
Sit down at the keyboard and hope for the best? LOL. No, not really. I usually have a rough idea of my story when I start writing, but don’t know a lot of the details. What I do know are my characters. I develop them fully before I start writing. That way, I can put them in any situation and know exactly how they’re going to react. The characters have to be real and strong for me to get into their heads. And I have a process where I write I call “writing all over the book”. Literally, when I sit down on any given day, I can be writing any part of it, regardless of where I’m up to. I often write the end early on and the love/sex scenes last. *shrugs* I still don’t know exactly how it all comes together, but it does!  I usually write at my desk, but sometimes I’ll mix it up by taking my laptop outside. And sometimes when I want some inspiration, I’ll even start writing for a bit long hand!!

What’s your guilty pleasure?
I have four kids so it’s… Peace. Quiet. Serenity. Of course, I have been known to eat raw chocolate chip cookie dough right out of the tub, but don’t tell anyone about that ‘k?

Do you do a lot of research for your books?
Depends what you mean by ‘research’ *wink, wink* LOL. Seriously, for my contemporary romances I’ve had to do little research. I’ve been fortunate in that I’ve lived in many incredible cities and places and I’ve travelled extensively. I’ve also experienced a wide range of lifestyles (growing up in government housing in a rural area to living, working and doing well in some of the most urban cities around). Although the readers will never really see this in the books, I do research the details of things even if they’re only mentioned in passing. I once read an historical where the author went on for over 5 pages about some fine china patterns or something. Nope. Not in my books. I want to ensure accuracy of details, but I’m not there to dump a bunch of information into the book to show I know it. For my paranormal stories, I have a bit more leeway. I get to make the rules of the world although you still need to make sure everything consistently hangs together! What did authors do before the Internet, right?

Have you ever used an incident from real life in one of your books?
No, of course not! Never. Well…not really. OK, maybe. But I’ll never tell!
  
Quickfire:
Favorite TV Show: You know, I don’t watch a lot of TV and I’m actually pretty happy about that. SO many other things to do.
Favorite Flower: I never know the name of most flowers. Yeah, not much of a green thumb here, but I do love Hydrangeas, especially the blue ones that are as big as a plate!
Boxers or Briefs: Um…it has to be one or the other? Depends totally on the guy IMO ;).
Morning person or evening person: As a Mom I’m forced to be both, but I definitely lean on the night owl side.
Favorite food: White rice. Seriously!
Favorite time of the year: It’s hard to choose because I’m one of those people who can usually see the benefit in anything and tries hard to appreciate the here and now. I know. You hate me, right? I get that a lot LOL.

Finish this sentence  “I believe in the Magic of……”
LOVE! Duh.

What are you working on next?
I’m working on the follow-up books in my Fabric of Fate series as well as a couple of hot and steamy contemporary stories. I also have an idea for another paranormal series that I’m itching to develop a little further. No shortage of ideas here…

What one question do you want to ask your Readers today?
What makes a book great for you? Not just a good read or an enjoyable story but a great book that stays with you long after you’ve finished it? THAT’S what I always want to know. THAT’S what I want in the books I read.

Where can your Readers find you online?
I’m kinda all over. I love interacting with people so I‘m on Facebook and Twitter most days and have just started on Pinterest. Now the world gets to see how obsessed I am with decorating LOL.

Buy Links for book mentioned above:

All the details of RISE OF HOPE will be on my website - http://www.kailyhart.com/books/Rise-of-Hope/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...