Monday, May 14, 2012

Character Interview - Dai from KISS OF THE GOBLIN PRINCE

Posted by: Veronica Scott
Today I'm interviewing Dai, the unforgettable hero from KISS OF THE GOBLIN PRINCE by Shona Husk.

Here's the story in a nutshell:


Trapped for centuries in the bleak Shadowlands, Dai clings to his humanity with a thirst for knowledge. But now he's free of the goblin curse, and some would say he knows too much- he can make nature bend to his will, influence the minds of others, and command magic. Yet love eludes him. Then he meets Amanda, a single mother with a sick daughter whom he feels compelled to protect. But could she possibly place her trust in the kiss of a goblin prince?

"Darkly Celtic, richly imagined, this is paranormal romance at its best." -Juliet Marilier, award-winning author of Daughter of the Forest praise for The Goblin King

What was your life like growing up?
I grew up in what is now Flintshire, Wales. That was the Decangli lands. When I was a child my life was much like everyone else’s. Even though my father was King, my brother and I weren’t allowed to place ourselves above the rest of the tribe. I imagined growing up and becoming a druid, but then the Roman’s pushed West, my mother died giving birth to my sister and everything changed. We resisted for several years, then they built a fort and at fourteen I was taken as a good behavior hostage. Things went from bad to worse rather rapidly, and not just for me but for every Decangli.
Before the action in the book, what were your plans/hopes for the future?
Honestly if the curse hadn’t broken, I’d planned to die. I was so close to succumbing and fading to goblin, another day and I’d have been gone, nothing but a grey skinned mindless beast. I didn’t want to live like that. No one should have to live like that.
Do you have a motto or code you live by?
Do what you will but harm none…sort of. If you’re rushing in to battle, you are expecting to get hurt. But seriously, when I studied magic and was initiated I made oaths not to use magic harm others. Those are vows I live by because the repercussions would be far worse than being cursed to be a goblin.
What is your most distinguishing characteristic?
I have scars and tattoos. I could pick one but without the rest it wouldn’t make sense. Most of the scars came from my time as a slave, a few happened later when fighting goblins. When I wasn’t fighting I was studying magic, which is how I got the tattoos. They are markings from various masters, most are more than skin deep and also mark my soul.
What is your major skill or talent?
Magic. I spent years studying all different kinds of lore in the Shadowlands. Once human and in the Fixed Realm again I found I was able to use it. Everything I’d learned (and remembered, I’m sure I’ve forgotten more about magic than I can remember—the human mind isn’t able to hold two thousand years of memories) about I can do. Travel across the globe with a thought, heal, create something out of nothing, stop time—except I’m not supposed to do that. Actually most magic I’m not supposed to use, but what Birch Trustees doesn’t know won’t hurt them, or me.
What’s your favorite color?
Gold? Joking, I’m not a goblin anymore. Blue, sky blue. Until it’s gone you don’t realize how important it is.
If you had to pick another career, what would it be?
If I wasn’t a mage, I’d be a scholar. There’s always something to study, language, history, occult law. You’d be surprised how much history got wrong. Of course it’s so deeply entrenched that those contradicting popular knowledge gets laughed at—I know that from first-hand experience.
What’s on your bucket list?
After living as long as I have I don’t really have a bucket list. I’ve travelled, seen history unfold, seen things I wish I hadn’t seen, seen creatures that no longer exist. I guess my priority now is family. Roan and I should get on better than we do. Amanda would like another child…Do ex-goblins make good parents? I suppose there have been plenty of books written about parenting so I can always look it up. I should probably spend less time reading.
Who do you love?
Amanda. She made my second chance worth living.

VS sez: KISS OF THE GOBLIN PRINCE is available at Amazon 
Also check out  GOBLIN KING, the first book in the Shadowlands series 

1 comment:

  1. Love this series! Can't recommend it highly enough! Dai is a wonderful hero!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...