Sunday, March 4, 2012

Inspiration

Posted by: Linda Mooney
"Where do you get your ideas?"

That has to be the most often asked question I get because I write fantasy, sci-fi, and paranormal romances. And to be frank, I have no idea why an idea pops into my head when it does. But I can tell you I have my methods to help me gain inspiration. So I'm going to let you into my head for a moment, and share with you a few "tips and tricks" I use.

The Photo: I find a picture that inspires me. It can be a single shot of a couple, or two separate pics of a man and a woman. The photo can be one that makes me feel soft and romantic inside, or makes me think this might be the climactic part of the book. From there I begin to build a story around them. Who are these people? Why are they there? What is their conflict? I print out the picture and pin it above my computer to keep me focused. I write their names on the photo, including eye color and any other descriptive nuances (tattoos? scars?). In time, their story begins to emerge.

The Getaway: It doesn't have to take long or be expensive. It could be some place I like to visit, or a place I've never been before. It can be a local tourist site, a museum, the zoo, or even the park. But I get out of the house and go! I clear my mind and let my thoughts flow where they want. The laundry and dishes will always be there. I take just an hour of "away time" for myself to let the ambiance of the place seep into my brain and hopefully give myself a fresh perspective. And maybe an idea or two.

The Challenge:  I ask myself, What's selling right now? What's "hot"? Can I write that? If the answer is no, I don't worry about it. Writing is like any other profession. Writers are best at what they enjoy most, so I won't force myself to write something I wouldn't feel comfortable writing. But if there's a certain niche I wouldn't mind exploring, I try to come up with a different scenario. I challenge myself to create a different kind of hero or heroine, a different kind of villain, a different kind of conflict.

The Locale: There's an old phrase that goes "Location. Location. Location." The same goes for writing. They say a person writes best what they know well, and that goes for the old home town. I look for historical sites. I search for tidbits of interesting information, legends, and whatever I feel might make for a good story.

The Music: Some people love to listen to music when they work. I have heard some songs that immediately "fit" whatever story I'm writing, and I create a "soundtrack album" to keep that mood going. But when I'm writing I prefer to listen to soundtracks. The warm, flowing melodies are perfectly suited for those intimate romantic moments, and the soaring, full-throated orchestral passages epitomize the climactic "hero saves the day" chapter.
***
Linda Mooney
Sensuous Romance with a Sci-Fi or Fantasy Flair
LindaMooney.com

Latest Release: SECRET IDENTITY, Book 1 of the "Identity Series"

An Erotic Fantasy Romance Novel
http://lindamooney.com/SecretID.htm
Available at Amazon, All Romance eBooks, Barnes and Noble, and BookStrand
Word Count: 51.7K
*
Brenda McKay has no man in her life, and she really doesn’t have time for one. That’s not a problem, since Brenda’s new job responsibilities keep her too busy for any sort of social life. But the day she is saved by a strange man who calls himself The Defender is the day her heart will never be the same.
Lorne Palmer has loved Brenda since they were in grade school. Shy, introverted, and the middle brother of two over-achievers, he has never really approached her for anything other than to help her with her homework. And to be there for her when her other boyfriends deserted her.

It wasn’t until he finally acquired his super powers and became The Defender did Lorne finally decide enough was enough. If he couldn’t work up the courage to claim her as himself, perhaps The Defender could. 


Warning! Contains sabotage, weird chemical names, smiley boxes, floating root beer, corporation hanky-panky, isolated safe houses, chocolate-covered strawberries, and things that go BOOM! in the night!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post! I get a lot of inspiration from photos as well. Since I'm writing about Ancient Egypt, my favorite thing is to go to museums and look at the actual 3000 year old artifacts...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...